The Sustainable Development Goals Fund (SDG Fund) is an international multi-donor and multi-agency development mechanism created in 2014 by the United Nations to support sustainable development activities through integrated and multidimensional joint programmes.
Its main objective is to bring together UN agencies, national governments, academia, civil society and business to address the challenges of poverty, promote the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and achieve SDGs. Convening public-private partnerships for SDGs is in the SDG Fund’s DNA.
As an inter-agency mechanism, the SDG Fund works across the UN system, currently with 14 agencies, implementing joint programmes around the globe. The government of Spain made the initial contribution to establish the fund, and more than 20 donors have donated since.
The SDG Fund is supporting joint programmes in 23 countries with an approximately US $70 million budget. National and international partners, including the private sector, provide approximately 58% of the resources through matching funds. Each joint programme contributes to the achievement of several SDGs.
The SDG Fund is the first UN development cooperation mechanism specifically established to implement the 2030 Agenda. Here you can see how the SDG Fund is contributing to each SDG.
- The SDG Fund was established in 2014 by the UN, with an initial contribution from the government of Spain to support sustainable development activities through multidimensional joint programmes.
- SDG Fund joint programmes in 23 countries are improving the lives of more than 5.4 million people.
- Joint programmes bring together an average of three UN agencies. This strengthens the UN’s ability to deliver as one entity.
- 16 UN entities and hundreds of national counterparts are involved in making the SDG Fund joint activities a reality.
- 56% of the joint programme resources are matched by national partners, increasing impact, ownership, relevance, and sustainability.
- Approximately 70% of joint programme participants are women and girls.
- To better align public-private partnerships for sustainable development, the SDG Fund has established a Private Sector Advisory Group, formed by business leaders of major companies from industries worldwide.
- The SDG Fund is fully committed to financial and programmatic transparency. All finances are updated through the MPTF financial reporting platform.
- By mobilizing matching funds, every dollar invested in the SDG Fund has generated an additional 1.36 dollars in the programme budget